The museum is housed in the old hermitage at the Madonna della Sbarra church. It was established in 2003 and enlarged in 2007/2008.
The exhibits are split between two areas, both displaying items along corridors, using the old hermitage niches as display cases. The artefacts are from the Madonna della Sbarra church, the San Michele Arcangelo Collegiate church and the San Sebastiano Charitable Works Institute in Panicale.
The first display case in the area on the right presents an altar prepared for liturgy. The 1888 pyx – used to contain the host – was donated by Pope Leo XIII. The brightly coloured XVII century prayer mat is the oldest exhibit in the museum. Each display case is based on a particular theme: ostensories (note the ostensory inspired by the martyrdom of Saint Sebastian), reliquaries the Procession (with the relative liturgical hangings), and the prelate’s room.
The other display area is reached via a small room with a fireplace. On the wall there is a valuable late XVI century painting depicting “The Holy Family”, by the Perugia Mannerist painter Cesare Pollino. Note the impressive carved frame, decorated with gold leaf, from the same period.
This room leads to the next section of the museum, which opens with precious XVII century hangings with floral motifs picked out in gold thread. Themes in this section include the Quarantore, various objects used to celebrate the liturgy (candelabras, antiphonaries, an altar lectern, votive candles, palm vases and tronetto thrones), and devotional statues dedicated to the Madonna with Child and Saint Joseph.