The church known today as the Church of Saint Sebastian is actually dedicated to the two saints, Sebastian and Rocco, and is located just outside the medieval walls of Paciano. Its date of foundation is not certain.
It seems that at the end of the 6th century there used to be an Oratory in this location dedicated to Saint Sebastian. Probably smaller than the recent building, the oratory was enlarged during the 15th century most likely as a way for the residents to show their gratitude to the two saints for having helped the town escape the plague. What we know for certain about the church comes from records of pastoral and apostolic visits. During one of these, in 1572, Monsignor Paolo Mario della Rovere complained about the nakedness of the figures of the two saints as depicted in paintings on the walls and ordered their intimate parts to be covered with a linen cloth.
Remaining fragments of important frescoes can be linked to the school of Pietro Vannucci and were supposed to cover the rear wall of the church, but the wall was partly destroyed to allow a new apse to be built, where the main altar was to be located.
Some fragments remain and are the subject of ongoing studies.
Also inside the church was a painting depicting the “Madonna of the shelter with the two Saints, Sebastian and Rocco, at her sides” by the painter Bernardino di Mariotto, dating back to the 15th century. Today only a copy of the original remains and is kept in the Don Aldo Rossi Museum.